The Rolling taps, unlike the cutting ones, form the thread from the deformation of the material. In their origin they had a limited implantation, due to the limitations in terms of machinery for their use, materials, R&D&I capacity and manufacturing means available. But in recent years, its use has grown exponentially due to the advantages they bring over the cutting taps, together with the new possibilities in terms of materials and the effort of development and improvement made by the tool manufacturers.
The main advantages of the rolling taps compared to the cutting ones can be summarized in:
- No chips are produced. Same tap for blind and through holes.
- Possibility of threading bind holes up to 4xD
- Higher performance and cutting speed
- Same tap for a wide range of materials if they have an elongation coefficient minimum of 10-12% and a maximum resistance of 1.200 N/mm2
- Greater wear resistance and fatigue of the produced threads
On the other hand, a series of requirements must be considered:
- Higher torque (100-200%) compared to the cutting taps.
- Importance of the pre-drilling: greater diameter and precision than in cutting taps
- Need of abundant and constant lubrication
At HEPYC, we have developed and improved in a very important way both, the geometry and the level of surface finishing to achieve the lowest possible friction and increase the performance as well as the quality of produced threads. Our taps are specially designed from the following characteristics:
- Manufactured in high quality ASP steels (HSSE-PM)
- Surface coatings and cutting-edge polishing treatments to achieve the lowest possible friction
- Special design of faces and vertices of the polygon to achieve the least possible friction
- Lubrication grooves to ensure proper lubrication required in threads from 1.5xD
- Increased tolerances “X” to compensate the wear and increase tool life
We have two groups of references:
- Refs.2187-2188 in tolerance 6HX
- Refs 2215-2216 in tolerance 6GX
- Refs.2213-2214 in tolerance 6HX with lubrication grooves
- Refs 2217-2218 in tolerance 6GX with lubrication grooves